Course Title: Traditional Chinese Calligraphy & Painting Enrichment Course
Teacher/Mentor: Ying Yang (Sunny) Huang
Course Length: Two Semesters, 32 weeks
Type of Class: Group class through Heart Academy
Cost: $65/month for 5 or more students, $75 for 4 students, $85 for 3 students and $95 for 2 students.
Materials Fee: $100
Teacher will purchase the materials below:
Chinese Calligraphy and Painting Brush, Rice Writing Grid Rice Paper, White and Red Rice Paper; Magic Water Writing Fabric, Black Ink, Ink stone and Ink Stick, Painting Water Color Set and Red Paste, Desk Pad, Color Mixing Plate; Paper Making Kit and other items. Your material fee of $100 (one time only) will be paid at the beginning of the school year. The material fee covers all supplies.
Minimum & Maximum Class Size: 2 to 12
Questions: Email Sunny Huang at email@example.com or phone (408) 835-9602
Pre-requisite: No experience is required. Students are recommended to be in 4th grade or above.
This course is designed for the beginner of learning traditional Chinese calligraphy and painting. The 75 minute class meets every week (allowing the teacher 15 minutes to set up and clean up). Each class will have a brief teaching/demo on a technique followed by a hands-on activity. Students study both calligraphy and painting together.
- Students learn the basic history knowledge of this 4,600 year tradition and the cultural value of China. Students participate in learning about the invention of paper (making paper). By learning traditional Chinese calligraphy and painting, students have a comprehensive understanding of traditional Chinese culture. Students learn about the transformation of calligraphy and how Chinese calligraphy has spread around the world.
- Students are introduced to Chinese Scholar’s Desk –Four Treasures (Brush, ink, rice paper, ink stone and ink stick), an essential tool kit and their proper use. Students will learn to grind out ink with an ink stick on the ink stone, and understand the structure of brush and identify the rice paper.
- Students learn how to hold the brush, load the brush and move the brush.
- Students practice on the Magic Water Writing Fabric at the beginning and later move onto more challenging rice paper.
- Students are introduced to five Calligraphy scripts and different writing styles.
First starting with pictograms characters which form is identified and memorized easily.
- Then getting into basic strokes in calligraphy step by step and move into practicing.
Next Mastering technique calligraphy characteristics of each stroke and practicing different styles of exemplary pieces of calligraphy.
- Meanwhile Students do application of Chinese strokes as a model for paintings.
Students explore that Traditional Chinese Painting is China’s traditional art with unique characteristics.
- Students learn Chinese basic painting techniques and uses mainly water, ink and colors to paint on paper.
- Students are introduced six formats of Chinese Painting.
- Students master five shades of ink washes, outlining, chapping, mixing colors, capturing texture, light.
By the end of the year, students will be able to do the following:
• Delve into the rich traditional Chinese culture
• Write basic Chinese characters
• Create traditional Chinese paintings such as flowers, bamboo, landscapes
• High school students learn the techniques necessary for seal cutting characters on stamp.
Attendance and punctuality are very important. Please be in class on time, ready to start, and prepared for the day’s material. Listen to instructions given in class and follow directions . This not only save time and energy for all of us, but also provide and a good performance in the class. Participation and turning the projects are required.
Attendance and punctuality very important. Please be in class on time, ready to start, and prepared for class.
If you miss a class due to an excused absence, it generally cannot be made up due to supplies considerations, though sometimes we can try to make arrangements for you to catch up in some way.
Assignments: Most assignments or art lessons are done during class time. Some projects can be taken home to finish.
About Your Mentor-Teacher: You will find her bio at the end of the Heart course Catalog.
REGISTER WITH CRISSI IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.