- Course Title: Beginning & Intermediate Basketball
- Teacher/Mentor: Warren Shimada
- Course Length: 2 semesters
- Type of Class: Group class through Heart Academy
- When: Fridays, Period 2
- Tuition fee payable to the teacher: $75/month
- Credit Classification: Physical Education
- Minimum Class Size: 6
- Maximum Class Size: 20
- Questions: Email Warren Shimada
Shelter in Place: Will not hold class
This class will focus on skills for both the beginning and intermediate basketball player for boys and girls from ages 8-17 years old.
Bring to Class:
1) 28.5″ basketball (all girls and boys ages 8-12) or 29.5″ basketball for boys older than 13 years old (write your name on the ball)
2) Water bottle
3) Court shoes (no running shoes or sandals allowed)
Beginner Skills Emphasized:
- Shooting technique – focuses on the proper basic (6 step) shooting technique
- Dribbling – right and left hand dribbling and basic ball handling skills
- Passing – chest and bounce passing
- Defense including footwork, hand position, and technique. Fundamental of 2-1-2 zone defense.
Scrimmage Games – play scrimmage games based on fundamental skills learned in the semester. Game rules are adapted based on player ages and abilities (for example: no blocking a beginning players shot, no stealing the ball from a beginner, etc).
Intermediate Skills Emphasized:
Shooting technique – advancing skills in the basic (6 step) technique, shooting off the dribble, strategies to get open shots, driving to the basket, jump shot, post moves
Dribbling – right/left hand dribbling, intermediate ball handling skills, two ball dribbling, cross over dribbling
Passing – chest/bounce pass, one handed passing, baseball pass, lob passing 4. Defense – footwork/hand position, man-to-man defense, 1-2-2 zone defense, 1-3-1 zone defense
Scrimmage Games – play scrimmage games based on fundamental skills learned in the semester. Game rules are adapted based on player ages and abilities (for example: points given for not only making baskets but for rebounding, steals and assists).
For information on other basketball programs Coach Shimada leads, go to:
Contacting the Coach Please contact Coach Warren Shimada if there are any questions.